The Speakeasy: A Reverse Thieves Podcast – Drink #010

Anime 3000 presents The Speakeasy Podcast:
Drink #010:
The Red Comet, Romance in the various Gundam Universes

When you think of Gundam you usually think of a mixture of real robot battles and politics as the foundation of the various series that make up the franchise. But the relationships between the characters is an equally important part that is easily overlooked because of all the cool robot fights. High on the list of debate are the romantic relationships; some are praised as highly realistic and touching, others are viewed as melodramatic but engaging, while still others are seen as travesties. The problem is that few fans agree which relationships from which show go in which category. In this episode we will examine the relationships that stand out the most in our minds from all the Gundam series we have seen. We start with the works of Tomino and go up to the present with Gundam Unicorn and Gundam 00.

(Listen) (Show Notes)

And now your helpful bartenders at The Speakeasy present you a drink invented by Hisui:

The Red Comet (It gets you feeling toasty three times as fast)

6 oz. vodka
1 can Red Bull

Drop a shotglass of vodka into a Highball glass of Red Bull. Bonus points are given for being dressed as Casval Rem Deikun with a mask or at least wearing all red. Anyone dressed as Quattro Bajeena has to drink a Hyaku Shiki.

9 thoughts on “The Speakeasy: A Reverse Thieves Podcast – Drink #010

1. Ed Sizemore says:

Man, If I see people drinking either Red Comet or Four Loco, I’m getting out of there. I don’t want to be around if that goes bad.

Next you’ll be advocating people cover their bedroom walls with so many Sabre pictures that it covers them completely. Plus the ceiling! Then add Sabre bedspreeds, pillow covers, and body pillows. That’s just too dangerous to contemplate. That way leads to madness. Madness I tell ya. M.a.d.n.e.s.s.

Wait! I do not already advocate that lifestyle?

Actually that is not 100% correct. I would never advocate Saber body pillows (or real dolls). That is just creepy. The rest is fine.

2. Morendo (Ryan) says:

Ah, my first listen of The Speakeasy podcast! Maybe this wasn’t a great place for me to start, I haven’t watched nearly enough gundam to be able to catch all the references and even the topic matter discussed. However I got a better idea on which Gundam shows I should watch, and it kind of reminded me that “Hey, this is a popular series that I need to watch, so that I can be cool like these cool kids” and so forth.

I look forwarddddd to listening to otherss.

Gundam is a mixed bag all in all. It is easy to assume all Gundam series are equally appealing but this is hardly the case. Certain series appeal more to certain people. Some people can’t stand any iteration, others love it all, and most people are somewhere in the middle.

It is important enough a series to at least sample a bit of as part of your anime education but remember that no two series are the same for better and for worse.

3. red3x says:

Great episode, and the only problem is that I have to wait a month for another one.

Frau and Hayato’s relationship was established in 0079. There was a scene where (IICR) Kai complains about Frau and Hayato getting all lovey-dovey, and Amuro wistfully saying there’s nothing wrong with it.

The problem with Wing and 00 is that the main characters are intentionally created to be yaoi bait, and any female character shoved into a relationship with them ends up being an obvious, forced beard.

They sort of hinted at it but I think there were dropping more hints of Amuro’s New Type powers than there was any sort of hint that Frau and Hayato had feelings for each other. That relationship is definitely the romantic hand of the Bald Wizard at work.

I’m not going to touch Gundam Wing but I felt they developed heterosexual romances in 00. They clearly show a romantic relationship between Allelujah and Soma Peries. I felt they were developing a Neil Dylandy and Feldt relationship. Lyle Dylandy had a very serious relationship with Anew Returner.

I guess I am just a little fed up with male mecha fans who basically say, “All the women who want to join our fandom can do so. You just have to be exactly like guy fans or you can get the hell out.”