So I just checked the statics for the site. Beside of course the United States, the country we have gotten the most traffic from this year is France. So on the off-chance we have a small but silent French readership (as opposed to people just coming to the site for pictures) I decided to write this post.
So Kate’s old advice is NEVER look at the guest listing for Japan Expo France because it will only cause you heartbreak when you see who they get every year. I normally follow her advice BUT I can’t help what I randomly see on Twitter. Anyone who has talked to me for more than a month usually notices that I will bring up Type-Moon and Hayate the Combat Butler whenever I can. Naturally that also means that I follow Kenjiro Hata, the author of Hayate, on Twitter. So I just saw a tweet from him about be excited to pack for his big trip to France. At first I was just glad he was getting out of the studio and having some fun. Mangaka stepping away from their titles is often good for their health and creativity. Then it hit me what time of the year it was. It was no a regular vacation. He was going to Japan Expo. A quick check proved my deduction was correct.
So here is where I ask for help. I can’t make it to Japan Expo. That is just crazy talk. BUT someone who regularly reads the blog might be going. So I have three requests.
1. Could anyone get me Kenjiro Hata’s autograph? I know that getting a mangaka’s autograph can eat up a chunk of your convention but I figure it can’t hurt to ask. He is probably my favorite mangaka. If I can’t meet him then getting his autograph would be the next best thing. I’m willing to do some sort of autograph exchange from anyone at Otakon his year if that makes the offer more tempting.
2. If that is too much all I would ask is that someone attend his panel and tell me what is said there. The more information about Kenjiro Hata, Hayate, and/or Seiyu’s Life! I could get the happier I would be.
3. If anyone attends one of his panels and does not have their own question during Q&A I would love if anyone could ask any of the follow questions:
- Is Sonia Shaflnarz based on Ciel from Tsukihime?
- Will Orumuzuto Nadja ever make the jump into the main Hayate story or will she always be in the omake limbo?
- What is the most obscure reference you have ever made in one of your manga?
- What was the most important lesson you learned from Kōji Kumeta?
- What is your favorite classic manga you think everyone should read?
I hate to have to beg like this but I am not sure if I will get another chance like this anytime soon. If it were anyone else I would not be so adamant about it. I admit this is a crazy shot in the dark but I would greatly appreciate any of this if someone had the ability to help me out.