I almost always have Kate at least glance over any articles I write just to get a second set of eyes on them. She is a fairly insightful lady and while our tastes usually align we are different enough that she sees some things I would ordinarily miss. When I wrote my 12 Servants That Need To Be Added to the Fate/Stay Night Universe post I also had it look it over. While Kate might not have any real insight into the Nasuverse and Type-Moon characters she is enough of an aficionado of history and mythology that any comments she has are extremely valuable. While she generally liked the list she did have one major comment. There were hardly any women among my picks.
I thought that was a fair comment and was going to write back a simple answer for that: There are so many female Servants that I wrote up mostly male Servants to even things out. There was no way for Kate to know that as she really only knows the following Servants: Saber, Gilgamesh, and … all the other ones. It seemed an open and shut case. Then I remembered an article I recently read. It said that if a room is filled with 17 percent women the men in the room think the gender balance is 50-50 and a room with 33 percent women will be seen as having more women than men. So that study made want to actually go and see what the gender balance is in the Fate universe when it comes to Servants.
As always some basic rules:
- I am only looking at the gender of Servants. Masters and other characters are a separate conversation that is worth having but is a greater question than what I wanted to look at here.
- I only used the list of fully spoiled Servants from Fate/Grand Order. There are more characters on the way but I am leaving them out for now. There are enough reveled Servants that I think they can be added to the mix.
- I left out some series where all the Servants have not been revealed. So I added in the original story of Fate/Strange Fake and its characters but left out the manga as there are still quite a few unrevealed Servants in that iteration.
- I left off the flashback Servants in Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. There are a few Servants seen from the 3rd Holy Grail War in the game but they are so inconsequential that they are not really worth thinking about.
- Any games like Fate/Tiger Colosseum and Fate/Unlimited Codes seemed enough like side story material they were not worth factoring in. Plus they don’t really unveil any new characters.
- Any character with no gender or an ambiguous gender were thrown into a separate category.