The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

hisuiconSince Narutaki is still on vacation and Secret Santa project is over now is the time for me to lay the seeds of turning this into the proper Type-Moon blog it has always been destined to be. While most people take enjoyment of the December holidays I have taken immense pleasure in the sheer number of Type-Moon related announcements this month. It is a good time to be me with so much wonderful material coming out next year.

hisuiconFirst off we got the announcement of at least 3 Type-Moon based anime next year. In an unexpected twist the first announcement was for Eri Takenashi’s Take Moon. I have always enjoyed Eri Takenashi’s writing when she worked for Type-Moon and have been entertained by what I have seen of Kannagi so it was a no-brainer for me to check out her parody anthology Take Moon. I found it both very silly but also very amusing so I am glad to see it animated. Plus for some criminal reason  no one every translated the second book with Saber on the cover. Eri Takenashi is also the character designer on the somewhat mysterious Girl’s Work anime. The project was announced back in June of 2008 and since then only a few scraps of information have been released. The story is being written by Meteor Hoshizora, formerly of Lair -Soft, so that means for better and for worse we don’t get Kinoko Nasu’s trademark writing. I am curious how that turns out without Nasu behind the wheel. I am glad to see ufotable as the animation studio since they did such a wonderful job on the Kara no Kyoukai movies. Bu without a doubt ufotable’s most important contribution next year will be the Fate/Zero anime. Fate/Zero was originally the well received light novel prequel to Fate/Stay Night all about the 4th Holy Grail War. It has been something I have been eagerly hoping would get an animated adaptions and it seems my wish has been granted. I mean it has Saber in a suit. The anime is being released along side the Fate/Zero manga for a big multimedia push as well. What more can you ask for?

hisuiconOn the game front Mahou Tsukai no Yoru should finally come out after being delayed this year but I already spoke about that. I just want the sexy adventures of Aozaki Aoko. Also we can assume that if the anime adaption is coming out then Girl’s Work visual novel should also coming out sometime next year but like everything related to Girl’s Work we don’t have a good deal of information. Also the apparent success of Fate/Extra has prompted the development of another joint project between Type-Moon and Image Epoch for the PSP. I am very curious to see what that will be. In the meantime I hope that someone picks up Fate/Extra for US release next year.

hisuiconAnd last but not least was the semi-controversial decision for Aniplex of America to release the Kara no Kyoukai Blu-ray box set in the US. The controversy is that it costs $398.98 for the Blu-ray disks from Japan with English subtitles. That is $398.98 for 7 movies, the bonus box set movie, a disk of extras, and a hardcover book with translations. On one hand that is 200 dollars less than what the Japanese had to pay but it is still a huge investment from an audience that is reluctant to pay for anything. I know I am certainly on the fence. I want to support the release but $398.98 is no small chuck of cash. Does buying such an expensive release show your support for more Type-Moon in the US or does it just show that you will take whatever they give you?

hisuiconIt is a wonderful time to be a Type-Moon fan. So much great material is coming out and it seems to be really high quality. Perhaps we will even seen an adaption of Heaven’s Feel, an estimated date of release of the Tsukihime remake, or even a translation or an adaption of Fate/Hollow Ataraxia . But even if none of my predictions pan out I am more than happy with how next year is shaping up. The only thing that will be sad is me looking at my bank balance.

14 thoughts on “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

1. omo says:

I think Kara no Kyoukai is good. How good $400 is depends on the individual.

At the same time you are kind of right:
    1. Yeah we do just buy whatever that is type-moon on it don’t we
    2. It’s a good time to be a Type-Moon fan
    3. This blog is always destined to be a TM blog /lol

1. Well yes but we want to give off a certain sense of modesty. Sometimes it is better to act a bit coy to get what you want. I would rather not pay Japanese prices on the US releases of Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works but I also want a US release of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel. It is a tricky dance.

2. That it is. My heart sings with joy just with the announcement of the Fate/Zero anime. Everything else seems almost fantastical.

The biggest unknown quantity is Girl’s Work. I am surprised there is not more information out about it. But maybe I am not looking in the right places.

3. SHHHH. Certain people are blissfully unaware of this fact and the longer that continues the happier I will be.

2. phatbhuda says:

I’m going to try and break down the pricing on that box set. First with their pricing, and then what I’d consider a fair price.

8 Bluray Movies @ $40 a piece = $320
    Book = $60
    Box = $20
    Total = $400.

I’d never pay $40 for a single movie.
    Realistic pricing (I still wouldn’t pay this) would be more like:
    8 Bluray Movies @ $20 a piece = $160
    Book = $40
    Box = $10
    Total = $210

It’s still a lot of money but if it was something I liked, I’d probably consider dropping $200 on it.

At $150 it would be a no brainer.

The problem is that the Japanese are rightfully worried about reverse importing on DVDs and Blu-ray disks. But in return they have a problem with reverse importing because their prices in Japan are INSANE so reverse importing is a very legitimate cost saving measure.

If they charged $200 I am sure no one (worth talking to) would be freaking out. But this is sort of an insane plan. The more insane part is I am still thinking of paying that much even though it is an outrageous amount.

3. omo says:

$200 for ROD because it’s how old now? Rakkyo is spanking, never-been-on-blu-ray with movie #8 that nobody’s even seen.

I think a lot of the factors that goes into justifying the buy for $400 (or $600 if you’re Japanese) are entirely missing to the average R1 shopper, because they’ve never seen any of the films in theaters. Like, if I saw Chapter 5 in high def/35mm and then watched it on DVD I would be like, “Shit, what is this thing I just spent $70 buying, it’s crap compared to the real deal. I guess I still got it for the OST.” Because there are so few anime out there that is made for high definition, and once we remove the Ghiblis and Toeis from the equation something like Rakkyo is pretty close to a “first time ever” opportunity to buy some kind of geek-fapping adaptation with really high production quality.

But $400 is $400. That is really the problem, not the fact that Rakkyo may be worth it.

I think that the movies are extremely well made and I am 100% sure that Blu-ray box set will look sweeter than honey on a prime set up. The main problem is that US consumers just don’t want to pay a lot for Blu-ray discs in general. Even the US movie industry has been seeing more and more consumers that refuse to pay more for Blu-ray discs than DVDs. And they are new to this whole pirating thing. To anime fans paying 20 dollars for a season something is still somewhat of a pitch so 400 dollars is madness to most fans especially after being raised on the sweet taste of free fansubs. In a way I feel I am getting my money’s worth and in a way I feel I am being robbed. Like phatbhuda said if this was 200 dollars I would feel no conflict at all. And like you are saying Rakkyo is worth 400 dollars but I have a hard time laying down 400 dollars.

Le sigh.

• omo says:

Nobody wants to pay $400 for some anime. Nobody.

It’s a different question as to will anyone do it given the choice to do so. Then there’s a matter of being able to distinguish the different reasons why someone would. Because someone would! It’s okay to say “lol $400 I am not buying Aniplex can DIAF” but it isn’t okay to be ignorant as to why they’re doing it.

You are kind of right about being raised on cheap media comes with expectation that media is cheap. I mean I talk to some friends in east Asia where copyright law is lawls, and the legit outlets there really have to fight downward price pressure not because of bootlegs of the shows they release, but because people are used to getting something for next to nothing.

But of course, the purpose of a collector’s set like this is kind of elitist, kind of like “hey my gold plated [insert something mundane here] is better than your plastic-caked [insert the same thing].” And then you got people reacting negatively to that kind of notion.

The reality is that if people wanted to see Rakkyo and didn’t mind fansubs, they would already have. So who gives a damn about how much Aniplex prices their releases? And especially since it isn’t going to impact how anyone would consequently license Rakkyo for a cheaper localization? It’ll get ripped anyways the day it comes out. And the people who don’t do fansubs probably don’t even care about the show since they don’t know much anything about it in the first place. If they managed to sample it, then they can figure out if it’s worth the $400 or whatever. If people must want a legit way that is free they can probably continue to dream on. Rakkyo wasn’t even free in Japan since you had to see it in theaters…

4. lvlln says:

As globalization continues its course and the world keeps getting flatter, Japanese publishers are going to have to come to terms with the world market and its price expectations. I see the Kara no Kyoukai BD release as an experiment in that. $400 is at least meeting us almost halfway, but they’re going to have to start cutting down on their enormous profit margins in order to properly cash in on the huge market the rest of the world provides.

Plus, only 3 or 4 of those movies were good anyway. Not amazing. If they were all works of Disappearance or Eva 2.22 or even Summer Wars quality – and length – I could see $40/movie being barely justified as a very expensive price point. As it stands, though, I feel they’re leaving a lot of money on the table with that price point. Only the hardest of the hard core will put up that kind of cash. Heck, you run a Type-Moon blog (sort of) and even you are on the fence.

400 dollars is distinctly a compromise but it is only a real compromise to a crazy Type Moon fan like me. To everyone else it is like originally asking for the sun and the moon and then compromising to only asking for the moon. And as you said even I am struggling to make a decision.

If I were a bit more economically secure I would pay it but with my current cash flow it will require a distinct amount of sacrifice. I think I would even be OK this this price point if they spread it out so I could buy a disc at a time and then the box.

But Japan is slowly being forced to realize that no matter what they do the Black Ships of a global economy are coming for them but they stubbornly refuse to change and won’t change until they are forced to kicking and screaming. I will say they are changing a bit recently but not nearly enough and not nearly quickly enough.

Also you are right. While I love all the movies there is a distinct difference in quality between the movies. When placed as a book the difference between chapters is not a noticeable but as individual movies the contrast is much stronger.

Oh well I am curious to see how this experiment turns out.

5. Lothos says:

I’m looking forward to the Fate/Stay Zero adaptation as well. Been following the fan translations of Hollow Ataraxia for a bit too…going painfully slow but I think they were at about 30% last time I checked. Would live an official English release though.

I’ve paid lots of money for things lots of people would consider a waste (like thousands on magic the gathering cards over the years, $75 for a 12′ dvi cable, $80 on a mouse (computer mouse), $300 on a computer speaker system, etc.). $400 for the box set seems a high, but I’m sure there are people who are willing to pay it. I’m not, but I still think it’s a quality product and well worth it to some.

I am sure that Kate will tell you that there are few things I look forward more than Fate/Zero. She might slip into a mild coma when she says it but she will agree. ;)

It is a tricky Catch 22. I want to support Kara no Kyoukai becuase I want more Type-Moon stuff here. If we don’t show support for their stuff how will we ever get an official English release of the game. On the other hand I don’t want to give of the signal that they can charge the US fans any rate they want and we will pay. I would love an official Fate/Hollow Ataraxia VN release to buy but I would rather not pay 15 dollars for it not matter how nice it is.

07th Expansion’s policy is a nice compromise. They support the fan translation and it return the fan translators support the official international pay to download service for the games. While I know some people complain the fan translational is stiff it is good enough. 07th Expansion gets some money but everyone pays a fair price for a decent product.

It is not a perfect system and it would not work for everyone but it is better than nothing.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEjvbra2TgE&feature=related